Constipation in newborn babies
Constipation in newborn babies is something that makes the parents worried. Though the condition can probably be treated at home it is better to take your child to a certified doctor (particularly child specialist) in order to avoid risks of further health issues. Since newborn babies are more delicate, it is essential to determine the condition and treat the condition timely. There are many newborn babies who have there bowel movement within twenty four hours from the time they are born. It is noticed that almost all baby passes meconium, which is a greenish black stool, within approximately 36 hours from the time of their birth. It is seen that after first few days the stools evacuated by the child turns yellowish or orange in color. Constipation in newborn babies is determined when there is no bowel movement within approximately 3 days from the birth or if there is content of blood in the stool. Incase any such symptoms are noticed it is essential to consult a doctor immediately.
Through the course of time when the baby grows older, most parents are able to understand the bowel movement of their babies and can understand prevalence of any further constipation. Dry and hard stools which may look like pebble may also indicate that your baby may be constipated. There are many other symptoms and signs that may indicate constipation in newborn babies; hence it is essential to gain information about such issues in infants.
Signs of constipation in new born babies, infants
• Incase if you notice that your baby is passing stool infrequently such as once in 2 days with difficulties like straining etc. it may be a formidable sign indicating prevalence of constipation issue in your child.
• If baby experiences pain while passing hard and dry stool, then you may assume that it may be constipation issue.
• It is noticed in some cases, babies pull their legs up towards their abdomen when they want to pass stool as well as they also grunt. During such time you may also notice that your child face turns red. If you notice any such behavior in your child, consult your doctor immediately.
• Discomfort related to stomach along with dry, hard as well as infrequent stools.
It is always better to avoid constipation in newborn babies as well as little older children. You should be able to understand the factors that cause constipation in younger children. There are various factors that cause bowel issues in babies which are as follows:
Causes of constipation in breastfed babies:
It is believed that baby who is on breast milk may rarely suffer from constipation issue as breast milk is easy to be digested. There are many different types of helpful bacteria in large intestine of babies who are on breast milk. These bacteria help in breaking down proteins in milk that are otherwise indigestible. As a result stools passed by breastfed babies are softer which makes it easy to pass out stools. Moreover, breastfed babies have motiline in higher degree which is why bowel movement in such babies is easier. It is also studied that breast milk composition also changes as the baby grows older, this helps the baby to get all the supply necessary for its nutrition.
Causes of constipation in bottle- fed babies:
Constipation in newborn babies who are bottle- fed is very common as formula milk is difficult for the baby to digest. Baby who is given formula milk regularly will have lesser bowel movement as compared to a baby who is on breast milk. Babies who rely on formula milk may pass dry and thicker stools which may look greenish in color.
Bowel movement in babies up to 6 months old:
In young babies ageing approx 6 months, bowel movement can be as frequent as several times during a day or it can be once in two or three days . In seldom cases the bowel movement may happens just once in three weeks. Incase if a six months old baby experiences infrequent bowel movement then it is better to consult a doctor and seek the advice. Possibly your doctor may suggest you to give laxative to your child in order to alleviate his or her difficulty. Breastfed babies usually do not have such issues until they turn 2 to 3 months older. Stools of such baby are usually yellow in color.
Bowel movement constipation in newborn babies aging 4 months:
Once your baby starts eating foods or transition food, their bowel movement and stools may depend on the food they consume. The stools passed out may look as well as smell like ordinary stool. Babies relying on solid food may have frequent bowel movement such as more than 3 times a day. However there are possibilities that the baby may suffer from infrequent bowel moment such as once in 2 to 3 days. This may cause slight constipation in newborn babies ageing 4 months old. In some cases constipation may also be caused due to dehydration because of consistent intake of solid food.
There are some other causes of constipation in newborn babies which may include:
• Intake of food is amongst the chief factors that may lead to constipation in babies.
• In more than a few cases constipation may be caused due to serious underlying disorder or diseases.
• Incase your child is not gaining any weight or else you notice any other symptoms, it is essential to consult your doctor.
Treatment for constipation in newborn babies:
There are several treatment techniques that can be adopted to treat constipation issues in newborn babies. Some of these treatments are as follows:
• First and foremost, you should consult your doctor and seek medical attention to alleviate symptoms of constipation in your child.
• Massage the stomach of your baby gently and lightly (should be done with care as new born baby is delicate).
• Move legs of your baby in cyclic motion.
• Give a warm water bath to your baby.
• Check that you are preparing formula for your baby in proper manner.
These are some of the techniques that can be adopted to improve bowel movement of your baby. However, consulting a doctor immediately is the best practice to treat constipation in newborn babies effectively.