Silent Heart Attack- Causes, symptoms and treatment
Silent heart attack is a physical condition which is characterized by chest pain without any presence of distinguishing heart attack symptoms. Chest pain can be considered as one of the most common symptoms experienced during heart attack. However, silent heart attack is not usually accompanied by intense chest pain. Hence, the most notable trait of silent heart attack can be in the form of its occurrence without any formidable sign. This condition progresses and leads to 25 percent to 30 percent of all heart attack cases.
Heart attack is a common term which is scientifically referred to as myocardial infarction. This condition is referred to changes in heart wherein the tissue in heart muscles die. In usual cases heart attack is caused due to obstruction of blood as well as oxygen to the heart. For example, a condition known as atherosclerosis where in the arteries that supply the oxygenated blood are narrowed which leads to truncation of oxygenated blood supply to the heart. Due to such reduction of blood and oxygen to particular region of the heart, the tissue of that area may die. This usually leads to intense pain in chest and numbness of the left hand. However, in silent heart attack such severe symptoms may be absent because of dead nerves surrounding the heart.
Silent heart attack – Causes:
It is considered that silent heart attack is usually resulted due to obesity or corpulence, high level of cholesterol, malformation of heart, weak heart etc. Silent and mild heart attack may be recurring in people who are unaware of such attacks. This is because they do not seek medical treatment as they are not aware of the occurrence of its symptoms. It is known that majority of such cases of heart attack which are silent have proven to be fatal to the patient.
Silent heart attack – Symptoms:
There are various symptoms experienced by a patient in case of silent heart attack. Some of these symptoms are as follows:
• Irregular or increase rate of heartbeats
• Angina which is characterized by pain in the chest or discomfort experienced in the chest. It is also sometimes described as heaviness or pressure experienced in the chest. Sometimes the patient may also feel tightness, burning sensation, ache or squeezing sensation at the chest that may persist over a few minutes or may be recurring. Sometimes the symptoms may be mistaken as heartburn or indigestion. Read more about burning sensation in the chest.
• In some case the patient may also experience discomfort and ache in regions of upper body such as left shoulder, back, abdomen, arms or even in jaw etc.
• A patient may also suffer from difficulties in respiration.
• In some cases a patient may also experience excessive sweating which may not be a result of heat or exertion. This is commonly referred to as cold sweating.
• As mentioned above, the effected individual may also feel indigestion or choking which may seem like heartburn as well.
• Queasiness and vomiting are the common symptoms of silent heart attack.
• Vertigo, drowsiness, fatigue or anxiety may also be experienced.
Symptoms of silent heart attack may differ in women:
As compared to men, women may have dissimilar symptoms of silent heart attack. However, these symptoms may not be associated with heart itself. Some of these symptoms are as follows:
• Pain in the upper back
• Shoulder ache
• Pain experienced in the jaw specially while opening your mouth
• Pressure or ache experience at the center of the chest
• Dizziness or light-headed feeling.
• Ache in arm
• Fatigue persistent over several days
If you had or are experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms, then immediate medical attention is crucial. These symptoms may be formidable sign of silent heart attack or even heart attack. Hence it is essential for you to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Treatments for Silent heart attack:
There are several ways that may help you to manage silent heart attack. However, one should seek advice of a certified doctor before undergoing any treatment techniques. Some of the treatment techniques for the condition are as follows:
• The certain medicines that help by thinning the blood which in turn makes enhances a blood flow and makes it easily travel through arteries.
• Anti-arrhythmic agents that are efficient in regulating the heart beats can help by reducing or breaking the development of blood clots.
• It is also known that hypertension is somehow associated with silent heart attack. Hence, coping up with hypertension or high blood pressure may also help in preventing further damages to the heart and other important organs.
• The factors that causes heart related issues are mostly related to bad lifestyle habits. Hence, you may have to modify your lifestyle habits to ensure good health.
• Diabetes mellitus is also known to cause heart related issues; therefore one should also ensure that the level of diabetes is normal.
• If the affected individual is suffering from hypercholesterolemia or increased level of triglyceride, then it is essential to bring back the level to normal degree.
• One should compliment these treatment techniques with strategized diet plan which is healthy for heart. Such diet plan should include healthy vegetables, nutritional nuts and lean meats.
• If a person is diagnosed with heart related condition then it is essential for him to take appropriate rest and do mild to moderate exercise.
Risk factors of silent heart attack:
People who are susceptible to silent heart attack are those with presence of diabetes mellitus, heart related issues, hypertensions and high level of cholesterol. Apart from the aforementioned conditions, factors such as addiction to smoking, obesity etc can make you prone to such heart related conditions. It is also studied that there are some genetic factors that may lead to heart attacks. This means that the condition can also be inherited from parents by the affected individual.
Hence, if you suspect that you may be prone to silent heart attack, you should seek instructions from your doctor and follow his advice to stay healthy and prevent such heart related issues.