Symptoms of Gluten Intolerance in Women
Gluten Intolerance symptoms in women has become increasingly common in the last two decades possibly due to the fast food culture that we live in. One in every 250 people stand risk to be victim of gluten intolerance and women are more prone to be affected by it compared to men. However with th right line of treatment, people can live a normal life.
Gluten intolerance in women and their Symptoms
- Diarrhea is a common symptom associated with gluten intolerance
- Behaviorlal changes and mood swings
- Increase in risk to lifestyle diseases like diabetes, thyroid, lupus etc
- Malnutrtion and malabsorption, due to weak intestines, the body is not able to absorb nutrients from the food
- Risk of rheumatoid arthritis increase in women with gluten intolerance
- Missing of menstrual periods as well as infertility
- Women may find it difficult to become pregnant, there can be miscarriages also
- Women may experience psychological problems like depression and emotional drain
- Thinning of bones and risk of osteoporosis. Also women can be prone to fracture because bones do not have enough Vitamin D , because the presence of gluten does not make it possible for the body to absorb Vitamin D.
- Fluid retention leading to swollen hands and legs
- Skin diseases like dermatitis and herpetiformis which includes rash on the buttocks, on the elbows, on the knees. on the scalp etc.
Causes of gluten intolerance
Gluten is a substance that is found in cereals like wheat that is responsible for the elasticity of the dough. Gluten is also present in rye and barley and such other grains. If as a woman, you have gluten intolerance or celiac disease, the immune system can be damaged because the gluten can cause damage to the villi of the intestine. Villi are known to aid digestion and can transport food from one point to the other. Gluten intolerance can lead to celiac disease in women, which is an autoimmune disorder that has its origin in genetic makeup as well as these food triggers.
Gluten Intolerance Treatment
The best way to be treated from gluten intolerance symptoms that women or even men suffer from, is to stay away from food products contain gluten. A gluten-free diet means diet that does not contain rye, barley, tritcale and wheat. Gluten can also come in fast food products like French Fries , burgers etc. So make sure that you read food labels before buying a product to ensure that they are Gluten free. You can also work with your dietician to ensure that you are consuming gluten-free product.