Itchy Throat Remedy
Though itchy throat is not a serious health problem, it can be quite annoying. Its irritating sensation can create great discomfort and may at times provoke coughing
Our throat itches when the inner walls get irritated with food and polluted air that enters our throat; and it may also be a result of an allergic reaction. Normally, the mucosal glands in our throat walls will secrete a sticky fluid which allows the smooth passage of food and air. When it does not secrete enough fluids, this is when our throat nerves become irritable which results to itchy throat.
Causes of Itchy Throat
The main causes of itchy throat are:
• Viral, croup, bacterial and fungal infections
• Dry throat
• Acid reflux
• Diagnostic procedures such as gastric endoscopy
• Continuous vomiting
• Speaking loudly or singing for a long time
• Lung or sinus infection
• Throat or vocal cord tumors
• At times, it can also be psychosomatic, which means that a person coming out of a condition of severe coughing can eventually carry it as a habit. When this happens, the continuous coughing may lead to irritation and then to itchy throat.
Symptoms of Itchy Throat
Symptoms that are accompanied with itchy throat include:
• Runny nose
• Speaking difficulty
• Itchy eyes
• Eating difficulty
Remedies for Itchy Throat
Remedies may vary based on severity of the symptoms shown. When symptoms are so severe that they interfere with your daily activities, it is advisable to contact your health care provider immediately. But for mild cases, it may subside on its own or you can also follow these methods.
• Saline gargle treatment – Combine four tablespoons of salt with 3 cups water and bring to boil. When it’s cooled down, you can use the solution as gargle. For better results, repeat the process in every few hours.
• Drink a combination of ginger and honey tea and make sure it’s warm.
• For dehydration – Keep yourself well hydrated by drinking more water.
• Turmeric and milk mixture – Boil a cup of milk and stir in a teaspoon of turmeric. Drink the solution before sleeping.
• Ginger – A teaspoon of ginger juice added with a teaspoon of honey. Heat it up slightly till warm and then consume.
• Garlic cloves – When chewed, a clove a day can help give relief from itchy throat.
• Hot steam vaporizer – This technique gives the patient instant relief. The hot steam helps open up the nasal passageway and also moistens the throat.
• As temporary relief, throat lozenges can also be taken.
For severe cases when an itchy throat is accompanied by high fever, ear pain, and presence of blood in the phlegm, it is best to consult a doctor so he/she can provide the right medication. Also remember that cough from the chest and cough from the throat are two different things. Cough from the chest may be a sign of a more serious disease so watch out for the symptoms. The earlier it is treated the lesser the chance of developing severe complications.